Despite an outbreak at a trucking firm in the Prairie Mountain Health Region, Dr. Brent Roussin says there are no plans to change the current public health orders surrounding drivers and travel restrictions.
Currently, truck drivers are allowed to move freely throughout Canada and the U.S. and are not required to self-isolate for 14 days like most who return to the province after travel.
Roussin, the province’s chief public health officer, said this after Brandon-based Paul’s Hauling saw a small cluster of cases at their office earlier this week.
A total of seven cases have been confirmed, including five staff at the trucking outfit and two contacts to those staff.
Reports of Thursday suggest none of those people infected were drivers.
“We’re always looking at our interventions over time,” Roussin said. “In this particular situation, no, that doesn’t change our outlook on it, but we’re constantly looking at it. But it’s a balance.”
Roussin said the province doesn’t want to disrupt supply chains, including those who transport PPE into the province.
“This particular cluster doesn’t change our thoughts on that,” he said.
Roussin hasn’t named the business during his briefings, saying they won’t unless there is a public need to do so.
MORE SUMMER EVENTS CALLED OFF
The Assiniboine Park Conservancy’s summer events calendar has been quashed, including their annual Canada Day celebration at Assiniboine Park.
In a release on Thursday, the Conservancy said the current COVID-19 pandemic and public health orders restricting mass gatherings led the decision to cancel summer entertainment series, which also includes musical acts and movie nights at the Lyric Theatre, jazz performances in the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, art exhibitions at The Pavilion, and early morning outdoor yoga classes.
“The Province of Manitoba has made it clear that large gatherings and events will not be permitted until September at the earliest,” said Bruce Keats, chief operations officer at APC. “For this reason and out of concern for the safety of our staff, volunteers and visitors, we have made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s events.”
The events are offered free to the public and made possible through sponsorship and donor support.
“While we believe this is the right and responsible decision, it was made with a heavy heart. We know how important these events are to our community,” Keats said. “We would like to thank our sponsors for their support, in particular title sponsor Casinos of Winnipeg, and look forward to hosting these events again in 2021.”